I have been a student of Grand Master Richard J. Lewis at the Kang Do Won Martial Arts Institute for a little over nine years. In that time, I have seen an incredible number of success stories - including my own. Beginning my martial arts training at the age of forty two I have so far achieved the rank of second degree black belt.
“Kang Do Won” is Korean for “School of Inner Strength.” As a traditional martial arts school, the primary focus is on strength of mind and spirit - using the art of Lewis Tae Kwon Do as a vehicle for achieving this goal. The training is not only physical, but academic as well - covering such elements as physics, history, philosophy and biology. Requirements for advancement to each rank includes a written test as well as a demonstration of physical skills. Grand Master Lewis takes a personal interest in each student, monitoring and directing their growth and advancement in all these areas - mental, spiritual, academic, and physical.
Over the years, I have personally seen:
- dramatic improvements in students with regard to confidence, self-esteem and discipline.
- students improve focus and respect - which translates to success in school and the workplace;
- young children advance rapidly in the development of social skills and physical dexterity;
- children with learning disabilities actually achieve passing grades in school;
- adults excelling in their professions well beyond their expectations;
- many students achieve superior athletic skills.
These are not isolated experiences. Rather, they are literally day to day occurrences.
The Kang Do Won Martial Arts Institute has been a vital part of the community for twenty two years and is truly a school where “Champions of Life are Forged.” If you are looking for a martial arts school, you owe it to yourself to consider the Kang Do Won.