St. Peter's Diabetes Self Management Education provide services to those individuals diagnosed with Type 1, Type 2 or Gestational Diabetes. A Registered Nurse Diabetes Educator and Registered Dietitians provide people who have diabetes with the knowledge and skills necessary to effectively self-manage this condition and maintain optimum health with diabetes.
The following areas are covered:
- diabetes: what it is, how it develops, how it is managed
- nutritional therapy for managing diabetes
- medications used to manage diabetes, how to use them, and side effects
- physical activity
- self-monitoring of blood sugar and how to use the results
- prevention and management of long term and short term complications
- foot care
- coping and adjustment to diabetes
- problem solving skills
- stress management
- behavior change strategies
St. Peter's diabetes patient education program has been awarded recognition by the American Diabetes Association in accordance with the national standards for Diabetes Patient Education Programs.