Holston Gases was founded in 1958 by Pat Baxter and Bob Walsh in Knoxville, Tn. The 2-man operation grew to employ many others as customers were attracted to the personal attention and superior effort made to satisfy their needs. In 1976, Baxter bought out Walsh. In 1981 Pat's son, Bill, joined the company, and in 1983, growth began in earnest. By 1990, additional management depth was needed, and Robert Anders joined the company. Over the next few years, Anders and Baxter groomed additional management talent internally and also added people from national companies who sought the family owned, independent atmosphere that Holston offered.