G ray Mortuary, Inc. had its beginnings as the Welborn Funeral Home in the early 1900's and was owned by Walter L. Welborn. The funeral home was operated from the back of the Welborn Furniture Company located in Pelzer, South Carolina. Samuel Lee Gray, a funeral director and embalmer from Anniston, Alabama, came to Pelzer, South Carolina to work at the funeral home and purchased it from the Welborn family in 1934, changing the name to Gray Mortuary, Inc. The business was moved to West Pelzer and operated from 45 Main Street for many years. In 1952, the establishment was moved next door to its current location. This new building is reported to be one of the first funeral homes in this area that was built from the ground up to be a funeral home. In 1985 a formal chapel was added and an addition expansion, which is mainly used for visitation, was constructed in 1999. Gray Mortuary and its staff of loyal, dedicated, and honest employees serves the people of Anderson and Greenville counties and the surrounding areas with compassion, dignity, and pride.