Calypso Cafe on Elliston is a fabulous place to get something a little different without spending tons of money. They are also great for "to go" orders.
The food is healthy and once you order, it is brought to you in record time. I have many favorites on this menu, but some standouts include:
- Rotisserie Chicken - served with an absolutely delicious Caribbean BBQ sauce or Jamaican Curried sauce. Haven't had their new Jerk sauce, but I'll bet it is hot and, like the others, yummy.
- Cuban Black Beans - these are really addictive. They are in a delicious sauce, and topped with with onion and a dollop of sour cream. To die for!
- Spiced Sweet Potatoes - another excellent side and a must-try.
- Boija Muffins - these taste like sweet bread and have coconut on top. Almost dessert-like. Very good, but sometimes not as fresh as at other times.
- Lucayan Salad, Black Bean Salad - two delicious salads. I got a bit addicted to the Lucayan salad at one point, but I think I've recovered...I think...
- Fruit Tea - house specialty beverage that combines iced tea with fruit juices. Refills are on the house.
- This location is in a very busy area and can get very crowded. Sometimes the waiting line snakes out the door, especially during weekday lunch hours.
- The tables can also be very close to one another, so if you need a place to have a quiet, out-of-the-way meal, avoid Calypso Elliston at lunch time on weekdays.
Definitely worth a visit - you'll be back!