Smith Funeral Home was founded in 1886 by George J. Smith and is currently the oldest family owned business in Milford, CT. George ran the family business until his death in 1951. George J. Smith's son Winthrop A. Smith then took over the funeral home and remained involved to see his own son Winthrop S. Smith Sr. join the funeral home in 1961. In 1980 Winthrop S. Smith Sr. gained ownership of the funeral home and runs it to the current day.
The Smith Funeral Home has occupied several locations but came to rest in 1935 at 135 Broad Street in Milford, Connecticut. It is currently found in the former residence of Simon Lake who is known to many as the father of the submarine. The Funeral Home is filled with history and many antiques, including Frederick the Great's clock which now stands in the funeral home's reception area. Through the years the funeral home has been renovated and underwent its current restoration from 2000-2006. Preserving the funeral home's elegance and charm was the goal of Winthrop & Bonnie Smith. Smith Funeral Home takes great pride in the fact that it is currently the ONLY family owned funeral home on the green, offering families that same standard of compassionate and caring service at an affordable price as it has for the past 120 years.