In 1784, after the Revolutionary War, William Mann, Sr. moved from North Hampton, NC to Washington County, GA. Like everyone else in early America, he made his living with his hands. After a few years of hard work he was able to purchase Manns Ferry and 1,000 acres of land on the Altamaha River for $150.00. Shortly after his initial purchase, William Mann, Sr. expanded the business with a large saw mill, a commissary for the lumber jacks, and a shipping business where he shipped huge logs down the Altamaha River. Having a large family to help work in the business, the saw mill was able to run for nearly 100 years with the ferry finally closing in 1922. Even today, many years after the mill and ferry have closed, the timber industry runs strong in the descendents of William Mann, Sr.