I had high expectation because friends and family had stayed at Pan Pacific hotels around the world and had always been happy.
This was my experience at this particular location:
First, the goods:
- We were assigned a room with only a shower and no tub as promised. We asked to be reassigned and the nice man who checked us in previously was able to reassign us another room with a tub. He was very friendly and accomodating.
- The room was nice and modern and most importantly it's very spacious for SF.
- The bed was comfortable. Lots of extra fluffy pillows and you can always ask your "butler" for more
- A perfect location. One block from Union Square. Close enough to walk to the shopping area, but not smacked in the middle of the crowd.
- Loved the big bathroom. A small TV in the bathroom was a nice touch. Loved taking a bath and watching my favorite sitcom at the same time.
- The "doormen" were unfriendly. Not even once they ever said hello or smiled at us when we walked by. In fact, one time my husband said hello and was ignored even though he clearly was looking at us.
- Another bad experience with the unfriendly "doormen." We were told the hotel provided a car service. We asked a doorman if the car would take us to Japantown. He started laughing and condesendingly said, "That's 15 blocks from here." A simple "no" would do.
- During check in, the nice man I mentioned above mentioned I should take advantage of the butler drawing bath for guests. It sounded nice, so I thought, why not. So, when we got to the room, we requested the buttler to draw me a bath. First of all, the butler lady was so puzzled when we requested it (I checked, it was listed as one of the services they provided guests). When she came to our room, she asked me if I would do it myself. She gave me a bowl of bath salt and left. I didn't mind doing that myself, but you cannot advertise your service and not deliver.
At the end, I could only rate this hotel 3 out of 5. Maybe what their employees need is a class on "Customer Service."