I was a member of L.A. Fitness for 2 years a while back, and I left for several reasons.
1. The childcare facilities were NOT in good shape. There was a high turn over in staff, the staff were not friendly, very few of them actually interacted with the children, and they let the kids play with broken toys. I did not feel comfortable leaving my child there, even for an hour.
2. The facility is in need of some serious work. The sauna/steam room was routinely broken, the pool was closed frequently for repairs, the showers were often clogged. Yuck.
3. I never really felt comfortable working out there, as a 30 something, slightly overweight woman. It’s not fun to use the stairmaster next to a 25 year old man lifting 300 pounds and grunting, or the 65 year old body builder with very tight shorts.
However, on the brighter side…
1. If you are good at bargaining, you can get a good price and waive the membership joining fee. I think I paid $35 for unlimited use and childcare. Not bad.
2. It’s open almost 24-7.
3. They offered some great classes, and I really liked the instructors, especially the yoga instructors and the water aerobics teachers.