Welcome to Forest Lawn Cemetery where our peaceful beauty makes us a place to remember yesterday, today and tomorrow!
The beauty of the cemetery has been maintained over the years through the perpetual care fund which is financed through 25% of the receipts of lot sales. The cemetery was developed on the park plan which has been widely accepted throughout the country. It has ensured the sweep of velvety lawns and the smooth, well-kept appearance of the area. Wide, hard-surfaced roads wind through the forest making access easy to all grave sites.
The Forest Lawn Cemetery Association was organized under the laws of Nebraska on May 13, 1885. The founding trustees were: Herman Kountze, James Forsyth, William R. Brown, Milton Rogers, M.H. Buss, J.H. Brackin, H.G. Clark, J.J. Brown, O.S. Woods, and Charles H. Brown. The cemetery is mutually owned, operated without profit, with the title resting with the lot owners.
Memorial art has been among the most impressive in the nation, but still, the forest and lawn aspects of the 349 acres are the most noteworthy characteristics. The main entrance was for years on the east side of the grounds off North 30th Street and Forest Lawn Drive. An attractive new main entrance is now open on the west side of the memorial park on Mormon Bridge Road, just south of the 48th Street Exit off of Interstate I 680.
The cemetery's chapel is a work of art with its granite exterior, copper roof, mosaic tiles, and stained glass windows along with the columbarium in the lower level. The cemetery concentrated more on the forest and lawn aspects of the memorial park and today it continues to rank as one of the most beautiful cemeteries in the country. It is the only cemetary in the midwest that is an arbarium and a nationally recognized bird sanctuary since 1918.
PRESERVING THE BEAUTY
Forest Lawn has rigorous rules and regulations that help protect and maintain the beauty of its grounds. These rules are strictly enforced for the good of all