The First National Bank is an independent locally owned bank located in Dublin, Texas. The bank was chartered on May 7, 1985 and operated out of its one office in Dublin, Texas until December 31, 1996. On January 1, 1997 First National Bank merged with First State Bank of Deleon, Texas. The newly created bank retained the First National Bank's name and opened its main office in Dublin and branches in DeLeon and Gustine, Texas.
The First State Bank operated continuously in Comanche County from 1927 until the merger and still occupies the same building in Gustine today. In 1954, the bank was purchased by C.E. Leatherwood who served as Chairman of the Board until his death in 1977. After his death, his son C.E. Leatherwood Jr. became Chairman of the Board. In 1987, the First State Bank opened a branch in DeLeon, Texas. In 1990, the First State Bank moved its domicile to DeLeon.
In the early 1900's Clarence Edward Leatherwood came to Dublin from Lingleville, Texas to begin his career in banking. Clarence worked his way up to the position of President and Chairman of the Board of the Dublin National Bank Clarence learned the most important asset in a community was its people. He served his community in many capacities including mayor and president of the Dublin Rodeo Association for 20 years. Clarence Leatherwood's life was a life of service to his community that spirit lives on today in his family, friends and employees.
Clarence Edward Leatherwood Jr. after following his dream of being a railroader, continued the tradition of community service by also serving as mayor, president of the Chamber of Commerce and many other leadership positions. Both of these men believed in Service above Self. They served as Chairman of the Board of the bank and served their community until the day of their passing.
The groundwork of service to our customers was laid out years ago. We at the First National Bank continue to provide you with the financial services you deserve.