In 1915, Charley N. Thompson founded Farmers & Merchants Bank. He did so to provide our community with a bank that would be responsive to the financial needs of families and business owners largely ignored by bigger-city banks.
Farmers & Merchants Bank embraced the notions of exceptional personal service and comprehensive financial solutions as the foundation of our mission. The bank wanted to provide this while being a solid, strong financial entity you could rely on. The day we first opened our doors for business, we did so with $15,000 in assets.
As World War II came to a close in 1945, the bank surpassed the $1 million mark in assets managed, and 20 years later, reached the $4 million mark. In 1971 we moved into our current Operations Center in Piedmont. In 1989 we opened our first branch in Anniston, and as we celebrated our 75th anniversary in 1990, we did so with $43 million in assets.
In 1995 we opened our Jacksonville branch, and continued to grow our regional footprint opening the Oxford branch in 1998. In 2009, we opened the doors to a new facility in Piedmont, and in 2010 reached $200 million in assets.
Farmers & Merchants Bank has grown and prospered because we have never failed to honor our commitment to service, solutions, and strength. Ours is truly a tradition of excellence…since 1915. Banking Services Banks Real Estate