The poison center is available for people to call in the event that they have been exposed to something they suspect may hurt them. Whether that is something that has been ingested (such as medicines, household products, plants, etc.) or inhaled (aerosols, pesticides, etc.) or touched (substance in the eye, bitten by a spider, etc.). They even take calls about animals, identify pills, and answer breastfeeding (substance interaction) questions. Many people don't realize they can call poison control with non-emergency questions, but they are always eager to help out.