Possibly the worst restaurant experience ever. My 2 year old son, who is recovering from brain surgery, had hot soup spilled on him. While I understand accidents happen, I was surprised the waitress even attempted to serve soup over him. What shocked and appalled me most was the attitude of the manager, Martha, who simply laughed through the incident. The follow up call to the owner, Al Losti, proved just as disappointing since he never even asked how my son was doing. As the former president of a multi-million public relations firm, I found their handling of the situation unbelievable. With service, and attitude like that, the food doesn't stand a chance!