Bud taught us how to dance the foxtrot for our dance, and swing - so we could enjoy our big band.
Neither of us could dance very well, so we signed up for a package at a local studio. However, after three weeks of private and group lessons we still didn't know what to do on the dance floor: we had tried a dozen different dances, but we could only walk the studio's perimeter doing our basic step, which neither looked nor felt right. At this point we started looking for alternatives - which is when we found Bud.
After one hour with Bud - just one hour - we could dance. Based on our experience with the other studio, here's our take on why Bud's classes where so much more effective.
1) We got full one-hour lessons - i.e., 60 minutes, no breaks (not 45 minutes as in the other studio)
2) These were private classes: we were the only couple in the studio, we practiced to our music, and we had the complete attention of our instructor - non-stop.
3) We received instruction. There was no ""just dancing"" or practicing one move over and over again - Bud was on us all the time, stopping us, correcting, explaining , having us try a move, then explaining again, refining it, etc. We practiced at home - not during the class; during the class we learned what seemed like a lot - much more than we had expected.
4) Bud explained the little details which seemed to have made a big difference in how we danced. Where and how to place your hand, keep the fingers together to make the hand look smaller, keep the shoulders straight, etc, etc. - the tiny things we never heard of, and which made us look so much better and feel so much better once we learned them. UPDATE: Dana - the reviewer from 9/24 - is quite right about walking on and off the dance floor: Bud taught us how to do it both gracefully and naturally, which looked so much better than a ""staged"" walk.
5) In our opinion, Bud is not only diligent in his instruction - he is also a very good teacher. He can explain very well, and he made us feel comfortable about everything we did - without flattering us with empty compliments (like they did in the other studio). When he complimented us - we knew he meant it; he also smiled and laughed, and the whole class was such a delightful experience!
6) Last but not least, there was no pressure to purchase more packages - because there are none! It was just our upcoming wedding, and it seemed that Bud wanted to teach us what we needed to know in as few classes as possible: at the end - believe it or not - we were the ones insisting on one more class or two!
CONCLUSION. After only six classes we had learned enough foxtrot to look glamorous (and we did!); we also learned swing well enough to enjoy our big band. In fact, we could've pulled it off after just one or two classes with Bud! We are not very good dancers, but we felt very comfortable and relaxed dancing at our wedding - and, judging by the video, we looked wonderful on the dance floor! All thanks to Bud!
*Disclaimer: we have posted this review to a couple wedding sites and google. Sorry for the duplication!