On May 22nd, Chick-A-Chop dispatched an emergency electrician to our home as we had power in only half of the home. The electrician stated that we had a HIGHLY DANGEROUS situation which impeded our safety. He stated that he IMMEDIATELY had to replace our entire electrical service at a cost of about $4300-$4800. He even pulled the outside electrical meter to take voltage readings, insisting that our home faced a HIGHLY DANGEROUS situation while our safety was in GREAT JEOPARDY. The President of the company, Joseph Chick-A-Chop, compromised by phone with me to do the job for $3500. However, he would not allow the electrician to do the job unless we gave him a credit card number or $3500. in cash up front. Smartly, we would not accept these terms. My wife and I stayed up the entire night waiting for our walls to burn down. Luckily, the house is still standing. On the following morning, May 23rd, we got a 2nd opinion from another licensed electrician. When he looked in our electrical panel, he stated that he saw absolutely NOTHING wrong with our electrical service. He, too, then pulled the electric meter and took voltage readings of 124 V to neutral at one leg and 93 V to neutral at another leg. The 2nd electrician then told us that our problem was OUTSIDE the meter; it was a faulty underground cable belong to our utility company, PSE&G. PSE& G came to our house and confirmed the 2nd electrician's findings. They restored temporary power to our home and sent a grounds crew immediately after Memorial Day. They dug up our front lawn and replaced their faulty cable. We wrote to Joe Chick-A-Chop demanding an explantion as to what had happened. He failed to respond to our letter. In the letter, we asked how his conscience would allow his representative to create a false sense of urgency; furthermore, he allowed us to stay in what was termed a HIGHLY DANGEROUS and UNSAFE surrounding. We filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, who gives Chick-A-Chop a rating of an F!
BEWARE OF CHICK-A-CHOP'S fraudulent ethic!!!