Buena Vista National Bank has a rich and colorful history dating back to the late eighteen hundreds. The bank's history began in a single room dwelling referred to as Grandmas Room in 1882 for the sake of convenience and the privacy of its customers. Doris Gilster, commonly known as Grandma, had 2 sons who stumbled onto the banking business merely by accident. The Gilster brothers operated a general merchandising business. The banking business they conducted was just an accommodation to local businesses and individuals since there were no local banks in operation within the community at that time.The operations of Grandmas Room continued until L.H. Gilster and Henry Gilster dissolved their partnership in 1891. The bank of L.H. Gilster and Company then came into existence as a private banking entity until 1912. The bank then was reorganized as The State Bank of L.H. Gilster to establish a stronger relationship within the community.In 1916 the bank transformed again, but this time became a co-partnership between 16 individuals and was given the name that it bears to this day. Buena Vista, meaning beautiful view, became recognized as a state bank in 1920 and received its national charter in 1944.