More than 50 years ago Independence, Missouri became home to Barbour Concrete Company. In its infancy, the company, founded by Woody and Pauline Barbour, manufactured ornamental concrete picnic sets, birdbaths, and flower urns in the yard of the Barbour home on Winner Road. In the early 1950's Woody introduced precast concrete steps to the Kansas City area construction market. In 1961, after earning his degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Kansas and completing his military service assignment, Jim Barbour joined the family business. In 1963, Jim introduced production of precast drainage structures and in 1969 the company began producing precast concrete curb inlets, many of which are still being used in Kansas City area and throughout the Midwestern region. The company expanded its manufacturing capability to include sewer, telephone/telecommunication and power manhole structures, water meters, and gas vaults. Woody passed away in 1971 and Jim assumed the responsibilities as President & Chief Operating Officer for his family's firm. Jim has also led multiple industry initiatives and held numerous leadership positions with the National Precast Concrete Association (NPCA) including Past-President, 1969. In 1974, Jim received the Robert E. Yoakum Award, the highest honor presented to individual members of the NPCA. Barbour Concrete became a charter member of NPCA when founded in 1965 and has since maintained active membership.