Before I review the issues I've encountered with Austin Dental Spa, I'll first mention their strengths:
(1) During my visit, which was for a biannual cleaning, members of the staff were friendly.
(2) The dental hygienist thoroughly cleaned my teeth.
In general, that would be enough to qualify as a great experience, right? Well, let's review what went wrong:
(1) I was in the dental chair for over 1.5 hours. I've had thorough cleanings that took less than half of that time. I declined the hand massage and heated neck towels, so all this time was just for the cleaning and exam. And, I keep my teeth in great condition, so they weren't spending this time hammering off the plaque!
(2) In addition, this is the most expensive dentist that I've ever visited--by far. I was charged $468 for a cleaning and X-rays. I didn't even get a full set of X-rays; if I had, the cost would have been even more. (Full disclosure: I chose not to get a full set of X-rays.)
For purposes of comparison, the standard charge for a dental cleaning and exam for adults in Texas ranges from $58 - $78. Periodic X-rays typically tack on an additional $83 - $106.
(3) A month after my visit, they charged my credit card a second time. Please note that I never received a bill beforehand; instead, I received an "account history" that indicated they had *already* billed my account. When I called them, they claimed that when I agreed to allow them to refund me if insurance covered more than I'd paid out-of-pocket at my appointment (over $100), I was also allowing them to charge my card for any other expenses.
I ended up paying them, just because it was too difficult to dispute it through my credit card, but I've made sure that none of my friends, family, or coworkers will ever go there.
So I paid over $200 for a cleaning, and I do have dental insurance. Please be aware of their billing practices if you decide to go here.