Quite simply, I love the Wharf. It's been my go-to bar for over two years and I keep going back time and time again because it offers the best deals with the best atmosphere in the city.
Let's get to the specifics:
1) Hands down these are the best nachos I've had in the city...and I've tried a lot. I'm always open to new nacho suggestions, but those that I've tried have paled in comparison. What makes nachos good? First, a solid topping to chip ratio. I want a heaping amount of toppings spread pretty evenly over my chips so that I get a lot of topping on each chip/bite. I hate it when I'm left with a bunch of soggy chips without toppings, and I never face that dilemma when I'm at the Wharf. I love the chili, the shredded cheese (not manufactured & liquidy), jalapenos, guac, sour cream and salsa on the side...just the whole package. But the best part? They're only $8!
2) Every hour of every Monday - Saturday, there are ALWAYS two beers on special so that a pint will only cost you $3.50. Friday at 11 pm, Tuesday at 1 pm, doesn't matter...you will always have the chance to choose between two pints of beer for $3.50. Worried about Sundays? No need to...you can get Bud or Bud Light pints for $3 all day long.
3) Wednesday and Friday nights they have $3 bottle specials, often Miller Light or Michelob Ultra...this also makes me very happy.
4) Waffle fries = delish. Wings = delish. Chicken fingers = delish. Prices? Even better...everything is under $10.
5) Bartenders/waiters: these guys are awesome. They're very friendly (as are the owners who are often there), quite attentive and they have good personalities, so they talk/hang out with the patrons. Riley, my favorite bartender, is easily half the reason that I keep returning.
6) Tuesday you can get a pound of mussels marinara with a garlicky roll for just $6. Sounds a little sketchy coming from a bar, but I've tried them and they're great! Maybe just a bit too salty, but hey, they were only $6..
There are other wing deals, taco deals, shot deals, etc., but those are some of my favorites. I've also been there twice for NYE and had a great time both years.
I love a good deal, but what's really special about the Wharf is the atmosphere. While it's located in Murray Hill, it doesn't have that frat boy vibe to it...it's more of a young professional crowd, and for the most part people are friendly and easy-going. I can dress quite casually and never feel out of place, and amazingly I can always get a table (even on Friday after work) in the back deck area.
They have a great deck that's open in the warm weather months and closed up during the winter. Granted, it can get quite chilly back there and we have to wear our coats Nov - Feb/March, but it's usually fine if there are enough people around you and if enough drinks are going down.
I think I've gushed plenty. But what can I say? I'm a girl in love.
Pros: What's not to love? Prices, people, NACHOS, atmosphere...
Cons: Sometimes it's cold in the closed deck...that's it...