When I first found this restaurant 5-6 years ago, it was from an invitation from my Caucasian friend. And, I loved the food the prices were right around $18-30. Since then I had a numerous trips to this place with different friends to introduce some decent meal on Newbury st.
However, I have to strongly advise that this is definitely for the wasps at its worst that are eager to crush other customer’s mood by being loud and arrogant. But I have to address that the food and the waiting is excluded from my review as they are quite decent. But the management keeps upsetting me and other reviewers as you can see below.
Here are my incidents with the Hosts;
1. racially biased and scoffing hosts,
2. strong preference of 20-30 some year old girls, with designer attires over casual dressers
3. Terrace table cover chargee $15 +
4. If you don't look waspy enough, they will not give the seat first or put you on the corner table after a long waiting4.
5. Arrogant Host/ess often scoffing at you if you have any complaint.
6. The restaurant's ownder is well-known for his Notorious TV Commercials for Medical Law Suits that shake the state government system. Jim Sokolove, and his wife's name is Stepahnie.
7. I left a complaint regarding these humiliating experiences over the years. But the owner never returned a call.
So, if you are a white female in their 20-30s, with bleached blonde hair and luxurious handbags, with the wispy attire with loud voices, go ahead and enjoy the food. But, please, don't get too loud drinking cocktails before 11am. But if you are black, Latino, or Asian or older or not so wealthy looking, be prepared to be taken like secondary people. Even if we pay the same money and have same good expectation for good food and services, they will make you feel like an outsider, not a customer. Just sit, eat and leave, just like at McDonald's.
Or, walk away if any of them show a sign of arrogance as there will be no way to correct this arrogant management. This place is truly the worst spot to witness the bean town’s notorious attitude problem.
"Charley's" on Newbury St is better without cover charge $10-15 during the summer, and yes, the food is good if not better. I just feel sorry for the chefs and Waiter/esses at Stephanie's for working with the wrong owner/ host/esses.