This is, by far, one of my favorite joints in the city. You simply can not beat a museum that not only allows you to TOUCH EVERYTHING, but encourages you to do so! I should know, I used to work there as an Explainer (those orange-clad high school kids that come and interact with you and the exhibits).
DO NOT MISS
- Cow's Eye Dissection: Gross and fun
- Upstairs - Vision/Optical Illusions: Simply the best! No, you are not high - you just feel like it!
- The Drawing Board: Make an awesome piece of art to take home but sign up early! Once the sign-up sheet is filled, you are SOL.
- First Wednesday of every month ADMISSION IS FREE!
- Take a sandwich with you and go eat outside. The cafe is too expensive for so-so food.
- Who says you can't celebrity-sight in San Francisco? Celebs that frequent the Exploratorium a lot ( I can vouch - I have personally seen them): Robin Williams, Kirk Hammet (Metallica), and James Hetfield (Metallica), to name a few, love the exhibits there!
In a nutshell, this place rocks and truly deserves all of the accolades it receives. A truly wonderful place.