Burton Barr Library is located in the central downtown area of Phoenix. I'm from the Chicago suburbs and went to my local library there and thought that was big. This library is immense! I've only dabbled a little into what they have available there. There is 280,000 square feet of it at 5 stories...now that's a lot of books! Well, the great thing is that there are more than books. Among the extras at this library that has been at this site for a little more than 10 years is the following:
-10,000 foot Children's Section with a story room
- A Special Needs Center with adapted computer equipment
- Ongoing events and exhibits
- Wireless Internet access for your notebook, laptop or PDA
- Arizona room on the 4th floor which contains a collection of books, maps and other materials reflecting the heritage, lifestyle and geography of the Southwest desert from prehistoric times to modern day.
- A great website! www.phoenixpubliclibrary.org tells you all about the great things at this library. You can check out what books are available at the library right from your own computer and put it on hold.
And last but not least, I frequent the 5th floor the most and they have a spectacular view of the city from there.